2013 Canadian College Draft Guide
2014 Canadian College Draft Guide
Available Now on Lulu.com
"Required reading for CFL fans." - Al Cameron (Calgary Herald)
"AWESOME! I suggest you guys pick up a copy!" -Emory Hunt (Football Gameplan)
Put your company into the hands of CFL fans from coast to coast.
2014 CFL Draft Coverage
Thanks to the new CFL rules concerning the Canadian College Entry Draft this year's edition will be heavily weighted in favor of the CIS. No longer will NCAA underclassmen be available for selection along with CIS redshirts changing draft classes to 3 years after they completed their first season on the main roster. Check below for a nearly daily update of information and we will update the top 3 at each position on a more regular basis the closer we get to the Canadian College Entry Draft!
Ottawa also draws in as a full member and will be looking to stock up on non-import talent!
- Latest Tidbits
- March 17th Top 3
- January 17th Top 3
- Top Testing Results
Depth Chart Updated
Players in gold have not yet applied for non-import status.
|Offense - April 17th Edition
|Billy McPhee - Queen's
||Anthony Coombs - Manitoba
||TJ Jones - Notre Dame
||John Urschel - Penn State
|Jahlani Gilbert-Knorren - CJFL
||Pascal Lochard - Laval
||Devon Bailey - St. FX
||Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff - McGill
||Kris Bastien - Concordia
||Pierre Lavertu - Laval
||Jeremy Botel - Mount Allison
||Alex Pierzchalski - Toronto
||Mattias Goossen - Simon Fraser
|Defense - April 3rd Edition
|Evan Gill - Manitoba
||Beau Landry - Western
||Andrew Lue - Queen's
||Johnny Mark - Calgary
|Quinn Smith - Concordia
||Casey Chin - Simon Fraser
||Adam Thibault - Laval
||Zachary Medeiros - Montreal
|Dylan Ainsworth - Western
||Max Caron - Concordia
||Derek Jones - Simon Fraser
||Tyler Crapigna - McMaster
- Thank you to all that purchased the 2014 Draft Guide. The next few weeks will see a shift in our focus into a true media source. For the first time ever we'll publish a season preview guide that will expand on what the Canadian College Draft Guide has done for the past five years.
- Check out our new blog site that will be home to our articles moving forward. The goal is to produce five articles a week. If you'd like to advertise on our site please see contact us!
- Check out our Podcast home too. There are advertising options there too! Reach a nation wide audience that is growing each week.
- Draft Stats!!!
- If the CFL Draft goes by the percentages of the past 3 years this is how it'll break down:
- 17 OL
- 13 DL
- 12 WR
- 9 LB
- 7 DB
- 4 RB
- 2 K
- 65 Total Selections
- In the past 3 years the first round has looked like this:
- 11 OL
- 5 WR
- 4 DL
- 2 LB
- 1 RB
- 1 K
- Today's media line up:
- Tomorrow's media line up:
- 10:25am Mountain Time on TSN 1260 in Edmonton
- On the air during the Draft with 980 CJME
- Evan Gill (DT, Manitoba) has reportedly torn his quad. This will move the former first round lock (potentially as high as #3 overall) down for sure. Recovery time places him back at training levels approximately the 3rd week of the CFL season.
- Update: Evan Gill has released a video showing ladder drills this afternoon. The debate continues?
- Updating NFL signings here
- Duane Forde's RB and LB coverage on TSN.ca
- Happy Mother's Day!
- Players go thank your mother's for all the drives to practice, jerseys that they washed and cleats that they cleaned up over the years.
- East 15 West 9 at halftime of the East West Bowl
- Injuries mounting for the East team - Jesse Mills (QB, Carleton) and Nic Romanchuk (OL, Queen's)
- No scoring in the 3Q. East 15 West 9
- Final in the East West Bowl - East 19 West 12
- David Foucault (OT, Montreal) has accepted an invite to Carolina Panthers mini camp
- Check out our new home for articles and podcasts at - http://blog.ridleyscouting.com
- Duane Forde's OL article on TSN.ca
- Duane Forde's DL article on TSN.ca
- No players from the Quebec conference of the CIS have been selected in the first round since 2010. This year that will change.
- Former UBC Thunderbird and Hec Crighton award winning QB Billy Greene will be playing this year in Sweden. His profile with the Royal Crowns can be found here.
- Quinn Smith (DT, Concordia) has tested positive for a banned substance. Initial reports are saying that a supplement acquired online contained the substance. Beyond that TSN's Matthew Scainatti reports that the substance was Stanozolol which is a fat reducing steroid most famously used by Ben Johnson ahead of the 1988 Seoul Olympics
- Looking forward to this Prospect Spotlight camp in Saskatchewan this summer. Come get coached up by NCAA and CIS coaches. First step towards your recruitment:
- Past 3 CFL Drafts First Round by School:
- 6 selections - Calgary
- 3 selections - Eastern Michigan
- 2 selections - Saskatchewan
- Past 3 CFL Drafts First Round by Conference:
- 8 selections - Canada West Conference (CIS)
- 3 selections - Mid American Conference (NCAA)
- 3 selections - Conference USA (NCAA)
- Past 3 CFL Drafts leading school by round:
- First Round - Calgary with 6 selections
- Second Round - Concordia/Laval with 3 selections
- Third Round - Laval with 4 selections
- Fourth Round - Calgary with 4 selections
- Fifth Round - Calgary/Saint Mary's/Sherbrooke/Wilfrid Laurier with 2 selections
- Sixth Round - Bishop's with 3 selections
- Past 3 CFL Drafts total schools by round:
- First Round - 16 schools
- Second Round - 17 schools
- Third Round - 18 schools
- Fourth Round - 19 schools
- Fifth Round - 20 schools
- Sixth Round - 20 schools
- Selections from 64 total schools
- Celebrating our 11th Wedding Anniversary. Back to the Draft talk on Monday.
- New podcast is up and ready to listen to.
- Looking forward to a summer football camp in Saskatchewan. Prospect Spotlight 2 day camp held in Caronport, SK. Practice and play in front of CIS and NCAA coaches. Full details available here
- Top Prospects Canada is running school testing sessions in BC this month. Looking forward to seeing the results from schools in Surrey, Prince George and Kelowna. Contact Top Prospects if you'd like to have a scout come in and run a session at your school!
- 59.2% of the players drafted in the past 5 years are still active in football. 54% on CFL rosters.
- In the last 5 years the position group that teams have used the most picks on:
- BC - OL 25.8%
- Calgary - OL 28.9%
- Edmonton - OL/DL/LB 23.1%
- Hamilton - DL 23.5%
- Montreal - OL 30.6%
- Ottawa - DL 50.0%
- Saskatchewan - OL 40.9%
- Toronto - OL 29.4%
- Winnipeg - WR 28.0%
- Leading schools players have been drafted from in the last 5 years:
- Calgary - 19 picks
- Saint Mary's - 14 picks
- Laval - 12 picks
- Concordia - 11 picks
- Western - 11 picks
- Leading American schools players have been drafted from in the last 5 years:
- Eastern Michigan - 4 picks
- Connecticut - 3 picks
- Rice - 3 picks
- Mike Mayock says that Laurent Duvernay-Tardif will be a 4th/5th round selection in the NFL Draft (this fact could make him a 4th/5th round selection in the CFL Draft too...)
- Ottawa RedBlacks receiver and former Concordia star Liam Mahoney has retired. Mahoney was a 2011 Draft Pick of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Podcast is up from TSN1260 - fast forward to the 21st minute.
- Former Hec Crighton winning QB Jordan Heather is headed to France to play - article from Andrew Bucholtz
- Other Canadian QBs to play outside of Canada:
- Teale Orban (Regina) played with Fairbanks Grizzlies - IFL
- Tommy Denison (Queen's) had a tryout with the Albany Conquest - AF2
- Chris Hessel (Western Ontario) had a tryout with the Albany Conquest - AF2
- In the last 5 years the Riders have used 40.9% of their draft picks on OL. The highest of any team on a single position group.
- Highest Use of Draft Picks on a single position group:
- Saskatchewan OL 40.9%
- Montreal OL 30.6%
- Toronto OL 29.4%
- Calgary OL 28.9%
- Winnipeg WR 28.0%
- We'll be on TSN1260 (Edmonton) tomorrow at 10:25am Mountain Time. Discussing the Draft Guide and Ridley Scouting in general. Looking forward to it!
- Also will be on the BCLionsDen Pawdcast this week as well.
- The last center drafted first overall in the CFL Draft was Chad Folk in 1997 by the Toronto Argonauts out of Utah.
- Canadian Graydon Campbell who is playing his high school football in Virginia has picked up two more offers - Buffalo and Liberty
- Laurent Duvernay-Tardif's profile on NFL.com
- The Eskimos had a mid-week tryout yesterday in Bradenton, FL so let's look at the events still to come this week:
- April 24 - BC Lions in Dallas, TX
- April 25 - BC Lions in Las Vegas, NV
- April 26 - Calgary in Tampa, FL; Edmonton in Richmond, VA; Toronto in Dallas, TX
- April 27 - Montreal in Akron, OH; Toronto in Houston, TX; Winnipeg in Girard, OH
- Scott Mitchell goes big and puts in a 7 Round Mock Draft
- Some formatting errors have slowed our progress but the 2014 Draft Guide will be available this week.
- This year's 5th Annual Canada College Draft Guide will feature:
- Player Interviews
- CIS Stats Package
- Team by Team breakdowns of their draft trends
- See where the Non-Imports play
- More player grades than ever before!!
- The final CFL Scouting Bureau rankings are out. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (OT, McGill) remains the #1 prospect
- Quote of the Day:
- "Coach Brian Chiu, I mean the guy is a future Hall of Famer, having him around 24/7 was so helpful, his professionalism rubs off on you, he is a true pro." - Quinn Smith (DT, Concordia)
- Blake Nill has reported to the Calgary Herald that 7 NFL teams have called with regards to Doc Cassama (LB/DB)
- Showing the case for Non-Import running backs and receivers.
- 9 running backs reached the 500 yard plateau
- 3 were Non-Imports - Jon Cornish, Andrew Harris and Jerome Messam
- 33 receivers reached the 500 yard plateau
- 8 were Non-Imports - Chris Getzlaf, Andre Durie, Andy Fantuz, Nate Coehoorn, Shawn Gore, Cory Watson, Andrew Harris and Jabari Arthur
- 14 of the top 40 receivers were Non-Imports
- University of Calgary has had 15 players drafted in the past 3 years leading the way. Over that time 151 players have been selected from 64 different schools.
- 15 - Calgary
- 9 - Laval, Saint Mary's
- 7 - Concordia, Western
- 5 - Bishop's, McMaster, Saskatchewan, Sherbrooke
- 4 - Eastern Michigan, Montreal, Simon Fraser, Wilfrid Laurier
- Leading American schools over the past 3 years:
- 4 - Eastern Michigan
- 3 - Rice
- 2 - Connecticut, Virginia
- Calgary Dino DB Doc Cassama is having a Pro Day tomorrow. Scheduled to be there: Green Bay Packers; Others with interest: St. Louis, Oakland, Chicago, Miami
- Cassama classifies as an Import for the CFL
- Sign up for the early bird prices for a summer football camp held in Caronport, Saskatchewan July 14 & 15 - EliteCombineSeries.com
- Weekend Tryout Camps: April 19th Edmonton in Jacksonville, Florida
- Next weekend is much busier
- CFL Daily releases their "Big Board" with their top 50 CFL Draft Prospects - Full article here
- Childress Mock Draft - 3 Rounds
- Justin Dunk is reporting that David Foucault (OL, Montreal) talked to 6 NFL teams at the NFL Super Regional held in Detroit. He was one of only 3 OLs to meet with teams there.
- Some things to consider when building your Mock Drafts:
- First 46% of the non-import starters in the CFL are offensive linemen
- Defensive linemen made up 14% of the total number of non-imports on the 46 man rosters (174) but only 7% of the non-import starters.
- 74% of the non-import defensive backs played at safety (14 of 19)
- Only 15% of starting defensive backs were non-imports
- 6 out of 8 teams had two non-import FBs on their roster; a seventh had one
- The value of each position group goes up or down based on the depth in that grouping. Expect kickers to go earlier than your first impression.
- (I call it the Rob Maver rule - In 2010 I predicted Rob to be a 3rd round pick. Not that he was a bad kicker as I had him as the top kicker available, just that's where I expected the first kicker to go; based on the team need and depth of the position group Rob went 5th overall)
- Ottawa RedBlacks have their mini-camp underway in Richmond, Virginia.
- Winnipeg Blue Bomber fan blog (2nd and 10) has some thoughts at who the Bombers will select with their first two picks.
- A look back through the years at CFL helmets including some failed expansion teams (Atlantic Schooners, Miami Manatees, Jackson Posse)
- The best look at CFL helmets year to year on Helmet Project
- Something special for the CFL fans in Atlantic Canada:
- Another CFL Mock Draft from Scott Mitchell - 3 rounds
- Quote of the Day:
- "I know first and foremost I have to make my mark on specials." - Jesse Briggs (LB, McGill)
- Clear indication that this young man is getting good advice. Draft stock is up following the CFL Combine.
- Adding interviews to the Draft Guide. Canada be proud of your CIS student athletes - quality athletes, quality students and great people!
- Quote of the Day:
- "Whether a team wants me to play offensive line or defensive line it does not matter to me, I would love to play on any team and just be a professional football player." - Quinn Smith (DT, Concordia)
- Latest podcast is now online. Thanks to Jacquie Sutherland for the initial question that got this one rolling.
- Here's all the other podcasts in case you have trouble sleeping or just want to catch up!
- Aren't computers great? You can work for 12 hours, hit one button and it's just like you didn't do a thing all day long. Thanks Steve Jobs...
- Early sign up for the summer football camp - Northern Exposure Football Camp
- A 2 day football camp in Saskatchewan with CIS, CJFL and NCAA coaches there to evaluate the talent.
- Save $50 by signing up early, save $75 by signing up in groups of 3 or more!
- Lowell Ullrich reports that Jabar Westerman has declined extending his contract. What does this mean for the CFL Draft? Do they try to find a replacement or do they avoid the position all together?
- CFLDaily's list of Draft Prospects and ranks them in position groups.
- Check out kicking prospect Zack Medeiros kicking a 70 yard FG:
- The continuing saga of Adam Thibault (DB, Laval) continues as he will attend the NFL Super Regional combine in Detroit April 12th and 13th along with David Foucault (OT, Montreal). The athletic Thibault is a man without a home as teams review where on the field he could line up in the CFL. Having spent 3 years at Laval as a receiver before making the switch to safety in 2013, the transition wasn't a complete success although he has the quickness and intuition that teams may wish to continue that experiment.
- Updated the Defense portion of the Top 3 Depth Chart.
- Saskatchewan Roughrider Mini Camp opens up tomorrow in Bradenton, Florida at the IMG Academy. April 4 to 6
- Weekend tryouts (7):
- April 5th: Calgary in Richmond, VA; Edmonton in Bedford, TX
- April 6th: BC in Boca Raton, FL; Calgary in Princeton, NJ; Edmonton in Houston, TX and Seattle, WA; Ottawa in Richmond, VA
- Looking at the 2015 CFL Draft already:
- Edmonton Eskimos attended the Utah State Pro Day which included 16 current Aggies, 2 former Aggies and players from Southern Utah University. Included in the drills was Ottawa RedBlack draft pick Conner Williams
- No foolin' here just back to work on the 2014 edition of the Canadian College Draft Guide. We're getting close to launch day and you'll be able to find it on Bob Young's Lulu.com
- Missed posting this last week with all the Draft coverage but here's where the CFL teams were running tryout camps this past weekend:
- March 28th: Hamilton in Dallas, TX
- March 29th: Calgary in Charlotte, NC; Edmonton in Mulberry, FL & Stilwell, KS; Hamilton in Atlanta, GA
- March 30th: Edmonton in Tallahasse, FL; Hamilton in New Orleans, LA
- CFL Draft Prospects Review: Johnny Mark
- Calgary - Kicker - 6'0" 185 pounds
- 2013 Stats - 8 GP 15-17 FG 40-40 FT, Longest FG 46 yards; 62 punts 41.9 yd average; 51 kickoffs 54.0 yd average
- Johnny Mark is a solid kicker that has gone 54-63 FG over his career, his punting has improved every year since taking over the kicking role from Aaron Ifield. His kickoffs have been reliable all 3 years with a solid 53.8 yards per kick career average
- Moving forward with a HS football camp this July in Saskatchewan. Details on registration coming soon!
- CFL.ca article on Anthony Coombs (RB, Manitoba); I see him more like Andre Durie myself and could transition to being a receiver if need be. Makes him a value to all 9 teams instead of being pigeon holed to be a back up non-import for one of the teams that features a non-import running back.
- New Podcast talking about running backs available in the Draft, how running backs were used in the CFL during the 2013 Season and Laurent Duvernay-Tardif's Pro Day.
- Back episodes of the podcast can be found here too.
- Laurent Duvernay-Tardif adds two more NFL team visits as Kansas City and Miami join the party. CFL Draft Stock drops even farther.
- This talk that no CIS player draws NFL attention is getting a little out of hand. Let's go back only 1 draft year and you have the #1 (Linden Gaydosh) and #10 (Stefan Charles) overall CFL Draft Picks stick in the NFL, both coming out of CIS schools. Also the #2 overall draft pick stuck in the NFL as well but came from an NCAA school. 2012 the #7 overall CFL Draft Pick (Kirby Fabien) ended up signing with the Giants out of a CIS school. 2011 was NCAA heavy and the CIS players made an impact early but still Queen's Matt O'Donnell ended up with both a NFL and NBA tryout. 2010 saw 5 CIS players sign with NFL teams. So sure you can say that the level of interest that LDT is more than most but perhaps it's also building on the shoulders of those that have come before. Let's give credit to the CIS for being a quality product that deserves a lot more respect on the Canadian sporting landscape than it has been getting in recent decades.
- The Bench Marks:
- Vaughn Martin was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the 4th round in 2009 out of Western
- Akiem Hicks was drafted by the New Orleans Saints in the 3rd round in 2012 out of Regina
- CFL Draft Prospects Review: Jordan Botel
- Mount Allison - Running Back - 5'10" 200 pounds
- 2013 Stats - 8 GP 170 carries 758 yds 6 TD; 3 rec 46 yds
- Testing Numbers - 40 Yard Dash: 4.86 (electronic); Shuttle: 4.32; L-Drill: 7.32; Bench Press: 10; Vertical: 30.5"; Broad Jump: 8'6.5"
- A two time CJFL All-Canadian, two time All-BCFC All Star and then followed that up in the CIS with 2 AUS All-Conference and a second team All Canadian. His testing numbers may not have placed him in the early rounds of the draft but you can't ignore his production. Two consecutive thousand yard seasons as a junior and work horse status in the AUS where he averaged a 100 yards per game in 16 career regular season games.
- Highlight reel
- Players named for the 2014 East West Bowl. It's a strange year with the East West Bowl occurring ahead of the CFL Draft. Busy weekend for scouts.
- CFL Draft Prospects Review: Tore Corrado
- Simon Fraser - Receiver/Kick Returner - 6'0" 174 pounds
- 2013 Stats - 8 GP 21 rec. 231 yds 2 TD; 12 KR 418 yds 34.8 average 1 TD
- Named to the 2013 All-GNAC first team as a kick returner; named 2012 All-GNAC second team as punt returner
- Testing Numbers - 40 Yard Dash: 4.57 (electronic); Shuttle: 4.22; L-Drill: 7.03; Bench Press: 5; Vertical: 33.5"; Broad Jump: 9' 2"
- His testing has really increased the interest level of media, fans and teams alike. Trouble is will CFL teams use a NI as a kick returner? We haven't seen that as a regular job for a Canadian in a while. Most definitely his draft stock has gone up since the Edmonton Regional.
- 4 CFL and 10 NFL teams attend the McGill Pro Day thanks to this Herb Zurkowsky article
- Max Caron and Quinn Smith are nearly polar opposites on paper.
- Caron didn't miss a game in 4 seasons; Smith played in 28 out of 35
- Caron put up insane tackle numbers - 271 hits vs Smith's 76
- Smith at 305 pounds ran a faster 40 yard dash - 4.82 vs 4.91
- Smith was only 3 hundredths of a second behind Caron in the L-Drill and 2 hundredths behind Caron in the Shuttle
- Should also be noted that Quinn Smith played as an offensive guard as well which limited some of his tackling time. Both are great prospects in the draft although Max Caron's stock may have dipped a bit even though he's a former President's Trophy winner as CIS Top Defensive Player
- Bernie Puchalski's article about Guelph Gryphon running back Rob Farquharson
- 2013 CFL Draft Pick Natey Adjei ran a 4.3 40 at the University of Buffalo Pro Day. A day that included scouts from 2 CFL teams there in attendance (Toronto & Hamilton)
- Reading the post-Combine wrap up articles and some players are getting a lot more notice than others. Including a couple that the variety of articles claimed some individuals had their draft stock both rise and fall.
- Potential new stadiums as part of a World Cup bid - http://imgur.com/a/5ZfCR
- Dan Ralph talks about Laurent Duvernay-Tardif's Pro Day
- He mentions having food for 50 people. Hopefully not needing to feed 50 offensive linemen!
- CFL Draft Prospects Review: Jesse Briggs
- McGill - Linebacker - 6'0" 230 lbs
- 2013 Stats - 8 GP 49 Hits 5.5 TFL 2 Sacks 1 INT 3 PD 1 FF
- The McGill linebacker saw his draft stock rise at the CFL Combine thanks to a strong performance in the testing sessions and the one on one drills. He has entered the conversation of being a potential first round pick now after looking like a 3rd/4th round pick only a few weeks ago.
- Testing Numbers - 40 Yard Dash: 4.57 (electronic); Shuttle: 4.50; L-Drill: 7.33; Bench Press: 27; Vertical: 38.5"; Broad Jump: 9' 4.5"
- Looks like the 2015 Grey Cup will be awarded to Winnipeg this week
- CFL Draft Prospect Review: Devon Bailey
- St. Francis Xavier - Wide Receiver - 6'5" 190 lbs
- 2013 Stats - 8 GP 32 receptions for 531 yards with 6 TDs
- AUS All-Conference in 2012 and 2013; earned invite to 2013 East West Bowl
- Testing Numbers - 40 Yard Dash: 4.62 (electronic); Shuttle: 4.19; L-Drill: DNF; Bench Press: 15; Vertical: 32.5"; Broad Jump: 10' 0"
- Laurent Duvernay-Tardif has 3 NFL team visits lined up as Arizona, Cleveland and Seattle would like to see more and Buffalo will send several front office staffers to Montreal to talk to him ahead of the McGill Pro Day
- Montreal Alouettes are attending the Missouri Pro Day
- Great tidbits found in the Kirk Penton article today including:
- Sam Sabourin (LB, Queen's) has retired from football
- David Foucault (OL, Montreal) has earned an invite to the NFL Super Regional Combine in Detroit
- Dan Ralph weighs in with a strong article on David Foucault.
- Montreal Gazette article from Herb Zurkowsky on Alexandre Dupuis
- The Toronto Regional Combine posted the top 4 40 yard dash times for draft eligible players.
- The Toronto Regional Combine also posted the top 40 yard dash time for all players as Nick Downey ran a 4.51
- With the Regional Combines complete still no player completed the L-Drill with a sub-7 second time
- CFL Combine - Montreal Regional went today with 5 players getting invites to the main camp in Toronto
- Guillaume G. Bourassa (RB, Laval)
- Nigel Romick (DL, Saint Mary's)
- Alexandre Dupuis (RB, Montreal)
- Francis Lapointe (WR, Sherbrooke)
- Travis Bent (LB, Concordia)
- Top 5 - Draft Eligible 40 Yard Dash Results so far
- 4.70 Francis Lapointe (WR, Sherbrooke) @ Montreal Regional
- 4.75 Tore Corrado (WR, Simon Fraser) @ Edmonton Regional
- 4.76 Charlton Elliott (DB, St Francis Xavier) @ Montreal Regional
- 4.79 Mattey Ossom (DB, McGill) @ Montreal Regional
- 4.83 Alexandre Branco (DB, Sherbrooke) @ Montreal Regional
- 4.83 Guillaume Bourassa (RB, Laval) @ Montreal Regional
Players in gold have not yet applied for non-import status.
- CFL Combine - Edmonton Regional went today with 5 players getting invites to the main camp in Toronto
- Tore Carrado (WR, Simon Fraser)
- Dylan Roper (DL, Simon Fraser)
- Thomas Miles (LB, Manitoba)
- Kyle Paterson (OL, Regina)
- Michael Dadzie (DL, Regina)
- Someone has created a 16 team CFL and it's complete with uniforms. Give it a look!
- New podcast going up. Today's podcast. Full list of previous ones at Podcast Garden
- Have you seen Casey Chin's (LB, Simon Fraser) stat line from last year?
- 10 GP 119 hits 12 TFL 3 Sacks 3 INTs 1 PBU 1 FF 1 FR
- Included in this are 8 games with 10+ hits; 2 games with 10 solo tackles; a game vs Humboldt State with 15 hits, 6.5 TFL, 2.5 Sacks; First Team All-GNAC
- Adam Thibault (DB, Laval) ran a 4.49 laser timed 40 yard dash at the East West Shrine Game last May. Can he repeat that effort at the CFL Combine?
- Max Caron (LB, Concordia) has a great CIS resume. However he ran a 5.03 40 yard dash at the East West Shrine Game. Will he get that dropped down at the CFL Combine?
- Another article on the OFC's move to increase the max age of their junior league from 22 to 24 - Chatham-Kent Sports Network
Our Favorite Realtor in Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Football Gameplan has a mock draft up and running. Check it out (and calm down)
- CFL Open Tryouts this weekend:
- March 15th:
- Calgary in Carrollton, TX
- Edmonton in Memphis, TN
- Winnipeg in Salina, KS
- March 16th:
- "Mike" from the Blue Bombers fan board "Morning Big Blue" has posted a mock draft
- David Foucault (OL, Montreal) has been working towards the NFL Regional Combines. Not sure at this point which one he's scheduled to compete at.
- According to CanadaFootballChat CIS recruiting has reached the 550 recruit mark for the Class of 2014. That means we are about 70% of the way through the recruiting season.
- Will have a new Top 3 Draft Chart up for Monday. Some movement among the draft spots.
- BC Lions attended the Marshall Pro Day
- CFL fun continues as Chad Ochocinco mentions on twitter that he'll sign with the BC Lions
- The newest podcast is up. Check it out the landing page at Podcast Garden or direct to the episode
- CFL-CFLPA negotiations for a Collective Bargaining Agreement have gotten off to a rocky start. Next week's session has been cancelled
- Delayed stadium projects all over the place. The Gordie Howe Bowl in Saskatoon may not be ready in time for the CJFL season. Full story here
- Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (OL, McGill) has decided not to workout at the CFL Combine. Instead he'll run through drills at a pro day at McGill University. In the States it's QBs that avoid the Combine, in Canada it's the OL.
- Missed posting this last week, 2 CFL tryouts were on the books as Edmonton was in Mobile, Alabama on Saturday and Ottawa went into Atlanta, Georgia on Sunday
- No draft implications because it's the CFL but long time CFL QB Buck Pierce has retired.
Back to the Top
- Not football but a big moment in CIS sports as the University of Ottawa has suspended his men's varsity hockey team over allegations of some unbecoming actions by some players
- We've been asked in the past about having a podcast, so this week we'll launch our first podcast talking CFL, CFL Draft, Canadian CIS and HS football. I'm sure some NCAA talk will show up there too as spring practice has started at many schools and I'll visit as many spring games as I can.
- Bombers found some speedsters in Saginaw - http://www.mlive.com/sports/saginaw/index.ssf/2014/03/saginaw_sting_receivers_austin.html
- Nice to see the RedBlacks bringing in Liam Mahoney who we interviewed for our 2011 Draft Guide
- Another CFL Draft Pick involved in a trade. Bombers bring in QB Brian Brohm from Hamilton for a conditional draft pick.
- Former Bomber HC Mike Kelly has landed the HC job at Widener University, a NCAA D3 school
- If CFL teams can be sure that he isn't going to the NFL then here's a look at a potential First Overall CFL Draft Pick for the 2015 Draft in Brett Boyko
- CFL Tryouts this Weekend:
- March 1st:
- Calgary in Chattanooga, TN
- Hamilton in Miami, FL
- Ottawa in Seattle, WA
- Winnipeg in Carrollton, TX and Saginaw, MI
- March 2nd:
- Ottawa in Long Beach, CA
- Winnipeg in Houston, TX
- CJFL facing a transition year. OFC has voted to increase the age from 21 to 24, it may lead to a split in the CJFL. In response the BCFC has voted to allow for 5 overage players per team. Lots of interesting discussion will occur at the CJFL Annual General Meeting in April.
- Another CFL Trade dealing with Draft Picks - Calgary and Montreal have swapped 5th round picks with conditional picks in 2015
- CFL sets the Canadian College Draft for May 13th
- NFL Draft runs May 8 to 10
- Another CFL Trade involving Draft Picks:
- CFL Tryouts - Calgary in Long Beach, CA; Winnipeg in Atlanta, GA
- Tomorrow - Calgary in San Jose, CA; Winnipeg in New Orleans, LA
- CFL - Hamilton Tiger Cats announce they will hold their training camp at McMaster University as well as their home pre-season game. Look for them to start the season on the road in a similar fashion to Ottawa while they wait for both stadiums
- CFL - Draft Pick Trade - Calgary Stampeders trade Justin Phillips to the Ottawa RedBlacks for 2 picks in the 3rd Round (2014 & 2015)
- CFL - Ottawa RedBlacks to play their "home" pre-season game in Regina - article here
- CFL - Free agency opens tomorrow, while it's exciting it's not as crazy as free agency in other leagues. Last year Edmonton was fined for announcing a signing within minutes of the opening, guessing we won't see a repeat of that this year.
- CFL - Training Camps are scheduled to open May 31st; Rookie Camps opening May27-28
- CFL - Draft Pick Trade - Winnipeg Blue Bombers trade the 24th pick overall in the 2014 Draft to Calgary Stampeders for the 26th pick overall and the negotiation rights to DB Chris Randle. Following the deal they signed Randle.
- CIS - Mike Beamish with more on Joe Paopao leaving Waterloo. Article here
- CFL Tryouts - Scheduled for tomorrow the Toronto Argonauts are in Atlanta, Georgia for an open camp. Their staff have good ties to the region and I expect a strong showing
- 2013 Ottawa RedBlacks Draft Pick Tyler Digby was named NLL Rookie of the Month for January
- CIS - Waterloo Head Coach Joe Paopao leaves for the CFL and takes the receiver coaching job with the BC Lions. Article from 55 Yard Line here
CFL - Coach of the Year announcement to be made today - livestreamed at CFL.ca
CFL - Saskatchewan Head Coach Corey Chamblin wins the 2013 Coach of the Year Award
National Signing Day for the NCAA today. Canadian schools have been signing individuals since September and you can check out the list at CanadaFootballChat.com
Earlier this week we posted that 6 CFL teams will be at the BSN National Scouting Combine, 2 additional teams have committed to being there as well as Calgary and Edmonton join in
A cold pail of water on the hopes of a Halifax CFL franchise from Roger Taylor
- the comment section doesn't give much hope either
- Simon Fraser University has officially named Jacques Chapdelaine as head coach
Back to the Top
- 6 CFL teams will attend the BSN National Scouting Combine held Feb. 26 & 27 in Virginia
- In attendance will be BC, Montreal, Ottawa, Saskatchewan, Toronto and Winnipeg
Edmonton held two tryout camps on the weekend in Texas. Houston on Saturday and Carrollton on Sunday.
Next published CFL Tryout is Toronto's February 8th testing day in Atlanta
4 CFL teams will have open tryouts in Atlanta and in the Dallas area this year (Carrollton is a Dallas suburb)
Billy McPhee (QB, Queen's) has announced on Twitter that he's headed to the CFL Combine along with 2 other Queen's players
- 3 CFL teams holding tryout camps tomorrow:
- CFL Tryout - Edmonton in Houston, Texas;
- CFL Tryout - Toronto in New Orleans, Louisiana
- CFL Tryout - Winnipeg in Tampa, Florida
- 3 special CFL Combines for CJFL players
- Edmonton - March 17
- Montreal - March 19
- Toronto - March 20
- Yesterday was a travel day for me so catching up today.
- Senior Bowl - Brent Urban tweaked an ankle and will miss playing in the game this Saturday
- Senior Bowl - Very windy day in Mobile. The gusts made several FG attempts pause in mid-air before coming up short and then the next try would go 20 rows up into the north endzone stands.
- Senior Bowl - Talked briefly with Hamilton Tiger-Cat property Brent Urban who mentioned that he has talked to nearly every NFL team and is looking forward to the game. He is enjoying his time at Senior Bowl and glad for the chance to compete.
- Senior Bowl - In a personal note I got the chance to meet Ed Orgeron. Coach O is a coaching icon for me and one that I'm glad I got the chance to meet.
- Senior Bowl - Also talked to former CFL HC Mike Kelly today who is working with a player agency now
- Take a moment to remember Martin Luther King Jr. today
- Senior Bowl - Saw representatives from 8 CFL teams today taking in the practice at Ladd-Peeples Stadium
- Senior Bowl - Looking forward to seeing Hamilton Tiger-Cat draft pick Brent Urban tomorrow as we arrived in time for the North practice but missed the earlier South practice at the other location
- Senior Bowl - Tajh Boyd (Clemson) was our favorite QB of the day. Many tweets about how Logan Thomas (VaTech) was their top QB but I didn't see him complete a pass longer than 4 yards while I was watching. Thomas is very athletic and shows the ability to roll out but wasn't connecting with receivers. Chris Borland (Wisconsin) had a big lick on Jeff Janis (Saginaw Valley State) that drew comments from the crowd. Kadeem Edwards (Tennessee State) looked good on the line. Ra'Shede Hageman (Minnesota) put himself through some self discipline for not getting separation from the OG and gave some extra burpees while waiting for the next drill.
- Senior Bowl - comment from Daniel Jeremiah:
- Shrine Bowl is live on NFL Network at 4pm Eastern Time
- Evan Gill will attend the NFL Regional Combine in Tampa, Florida
- 23-13 East in the 4Q of the 89th Shrine Bowl
- Shrine Bowl - Laurent Duvernay-Tardif has played the majority of the first half as the RT
- Shrine Bowl - John Urschel has lined up as the RG for most of the first half
- Shrine Bowl - Evan Gill in as the LDE for the West team across from Tardif and has a tackle
- Running a Game Day Thread and taking CFL Draft questions on StampsFans.com today - Check it out
Players in gold have not yet applied for non-import status.
Back to the Top
- Article on the Draft Rule changes by Scott Mitchell (Calgary Sun)
- Shrine Bowl - Evan Gill faced Fresno State's Austin Wentworth twice in one on one drills today and Charlie Campbell (Walter Football) gave Wentworth the decision in both
- Shrine Bowl - Charlie Campbell (Walter Football) also noted that several of the QBs there are more suited for the Canadian game than a career in the NFL, would be interesting to know what neg list they are on as CFL scouts are in attendance there
- Shrine Bowl - Eric Galko (Optimum Scouting) noticed Laurent Duvernay-Tardif today but didn't mention who he was facing in the one on ones
- New rankings are out from the CFL Scouting Bureau, check them here - Winter Rankings
- Duane Forde mentioned on Twitter that there are fewer invites to the CFL Combine this year than in previous years with a larger emphasis on the Regional Combines
- Shrine Bowl - Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff interviewed with San Francisco today
- Shrine Bowl - Evan Gill got some praise from Walter Football
- Shrine Bowl - John Urschel was beat on a couple one on ones as reported by Walter Football
- More from Duane:
Back to the Top
- Shrine Bowl Update - Canadians being interviewed by NFL teams - John Urschel (San Diego, New Orleans); Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff (Arizona)
- The 2014 Canadian College Draft Guide will be available on Lulu.com this year. Looking forward to it!
- Looking for last year's Guide? Check Lulu.com here
- Justin Dunk with a pre-Vanier Cup article on who the scouts are watching
2013 CFL Draft Links:
Final Top 3 by Position
News and Notes (Updated often)
|Myles Gibbon - York
||Steven Lumbala - Calgary
||Michael DiCroce - McMaster
||Matt Sewell - McMaster
||Brander Craighead - UTEP
|Cayman Shutter - Hawaii
||Isaac Dell - Laurier
||Seydou Haidara - Laval
||Corey Watman - Eastern Mich
||Nolan MacMillan - Iowa
|Lance Karl - Citrus
||Rotrand Sene - Montreal
||Stephen Alli - Florida
||Brett Jones - Regina
||Hunter Steward - Liberty
|Linden Gaydosh - Calgary
||Boseko Lokombo - Oregon
||Patrick Chenard - Sherbrooke
||Brett Lauthier - Saint Mary's
||Brett Urban - Virginia
|Stefan Charles - Regina
||Ben D'Aguilar - McMaster
||Kris Robertson - Concordia
||Lirim Hajrullahu - Western
||Conner Williams - Utah State
|Andy Mulumba - Eastern Mich
||Mike Edem - Calgary
||Cam Wade - Acadia
||Billy Pavloplus - UBC
||Jesse Joseph - UConn
Many of these lists are incredibly close in the grades. RECs are within .5 from 2nd to 5th. DBs are within .25 from 1st to 6th. DLs are within .05 from 1st to 3rd. Testing results + more film will sort things out as we move forward. ~ KR
Ottawa Target list are players that are eligible for the RedBlacks to draft this year with their 4 picks. ~ KR
Back to the Top
News and Notes:
May 6 - Draft Day!!!!!!!!
- Confirmed by Dan Ralph of the Canadian Press that next year the CFL will be only open to seniors
Didn't know this would be final #CFLDraft that underclassmen could be picked. Starting next year, only seniors eligible."
May 5 - The 24 hours before the Canadian College Draft occurs is a scramble day. Teams are reviewing final thoughts, organizing things so in the morning it's an easy plug and play set up. CFL Beat Writers are putting the final touches on their notes so they can walk in and put a thousand words on paper without breaking a sweat! Mike Beamish convinced us to do a mock draft finally for 2013
- Herb Zurkowsky says that Jim Popp is happy with the extra draft round
- Calgary Sun's Scott Mitchell brings a last day mock draft
May 4 - Justin Dunk weighs in with his second Mock Draft. Interesting to see his opinion after the NFL Draft
- Lots of rumors surrounding the "Trade for #1", sounds like Toronto, BC and Winnipeg are the most interested
- 4pm Eastern we'll be live in the StampsFans.com chat room to discuss all things draft
- Former Saskatchewan Roughrider Graham Harrell is heading into the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame today
- Article from Mike Beamish of the Vancouver Sun regarding Steven Lumbala heading into the draft
- The Rider Prophet brings a second mock draft to the board
- Duane Forde redrafts the 2008 CFL Draft
- Here's a unique idea from CFL Horsemen. They have combined 5 mock drafts to make a composite version
- Good write up on a scout's life
- Brandon Patterson weighs in on where he thinks the Top 15 from the CFL Scouting Bureau will go
- 2012 CFL Draft Pick Cleyon Laing (Argos, DL, Iowa State) is in Oakland's mini camp
- Football Gameplan comes back with a mock draft
- Riderfans.com shows up with some member mock drafts
May 3 - The CFL has put out some more details in advance of Monday's draft. Give it a look
- Henry Lorenzen (C, Purdue) is an interesting prospect that might just be a future center in the CFL
May 2 - Early reports about the Bombers wanting to trade up with Hamilton for the #1 pick. Sounds like they have a target in mind. Rumor that it's the Bombers pick at #2 + a prospect for the #1 pick
- The return of the mock draft! Brandon Patterson weighs in with his updated selections:
CFL Round 1
CFL Round 2
CFL Round 3
- Saturday May 4th at 2pm Mountain Time it's a live chat on StampsFans.com
See you all there - StampsFans.com/chat/
May 1 - Reviewing testing times today and found that Jermaine Gabriel improved his 40 yard dash time by 14 hundredths of a second from the CFL Regional Combine in Edmonton to the main CFL Combine
- The CFL announced today that the Canadian College Draft will be expanded to 7 rounds in 2013 and 2014
- Ridley Scouting has released the Draft Guide Update today. Enjoy the extra features!
April 16 List
April 30 - The Rider Prophet has come through and provided us with a mock draft today. Have a look as it's thoughtful and well done
- Doug Brown puts some Draft thoughts into the FreeP
- Brandon Patterson is back with his Top 10 CFL Prospects
April 29 - Good morning! Here's a mock draft to kick off the week from Brandon Patterson and submitted early this morning
CFL Round 1
CFL Round 2
CFL Round 3
- Draft comments from Rider Prophet Special thanks to a 2013 CFL Draft Prospect's Mom for posting the link!
- Mock Draft from Versus Football (in French)
- GreenZone talks about the Riders strategy for the Draft
April 28 - Another Canadian signs with Tennessee as Matt Sewell gets added to the list of UDFAs
- Can't wait to see the CFLDaily.ca Draft Show. Should be a good one!
- One link I didn't post the other day Cleyon Laing from Iowa State on NFLDraftScout
- The Toronto Argos worked out Abilene Christian QB Mitchell Gale at their Florida Mini Camp
- Ben D'Aguilar is attending the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Mini Camp this week and NY Jet Rookie Camp next week
April 27 - Interesting CFL tie ins to the NFL Draft today. Seattle Seahawks took 2012 CFL Draft pick Luke Willson (Argos property, TE, Rice). We'll post the UDFA signings that pertain to the Canadian College Draft as we hear them
- Several sources reporting that Stefan Charles (DE, Regina) has signed with the Tennessee Titans
- Jorgen Hus (LS, Regina) has signed with St. Louis Rams
- Andy Mulumba (DE, Eastern Michigan) has signed with Green Bay
- CO Prime (LB, Wagner) has signed with Indianapolis
April 26 - Prepping today for the CFL Daily Draft Show hosted by Tyler Bieber. It will be a lot of fun to tape this and talk CFL football again
April 25 - Today is the start of the NFL Draft. Looking forward to many hours of hearing "Now on the clock..."
- A look at Bo Lokombo thanks to NFLDraftScout
- Stefan Charles (DE, Regina) makes it onto NFLDraftScout
- Ben D'Aguilar (DE/LB, McMaster) on NFLDraftScout
- Matt Sewell (OT, McMaster) on NFLDraftScout
- 2012 CFL Draft Pick Kirby Fabien (BC Lions - OT, Calgary) NFLDraftScout
- Corey Watman (OG, Eastern Michigan) on NFLDraftScout
- Andy Mulumba (DE, Eastern Michigan) on NFLDraftScout
- CO Prime (LB, Wagner) on NFLDraftScout
April 24 - The folks at Wikipedia are on the ball and already have the draft page up for 2014. Ottawa will have good Non-Import depth albeit a little young with 12 draft picks heading to their first training camp in 2014
- Back in February Football Gameplan did up a mock video draft so have a look
- A trip down memory lane. Here's a mock draft from 2012 - audio file
- Interesting to review the list of CIS Rookie of the Year winners. Of the last 15 winners only Andy Fantuz has been a regular roster member. We really believe that Liam Mahoney got a raw deal and would love to see a team take a chance on him again. Big fan of the star QB turned RB turned Receiver
- From 1988 to 1991 Saskatchewan and Winnipeg played a pre-season game in Saskatoon. Would love to see that return!
- Largest attended neutral site pre-season CFL game was a 1961 game between BC and Saskatchewan in Seattle, Washington that drew 28,000 fans to Husky Stadium
- More Stefan Charles, this time from the Province. He played junior as a Ram, CIS as a Ram, wouldn't it be great if he got drafted by the Rams?
- Article on 2012 CFL Draft pick Luke Willson and his NFL chances
- Future CFL Draft pick Jesse Mills got an invite through the CFL Intern program to attend the Montreal Alouettes training camp
April 23 - Stefan Charles getting some more Houston Texans press
April 22 - Having some fun talking about safeties on some of the online sites. Mike Edem (LB, Calgary) will likely be tested as a safety and should do well there. Solid speed, tough, steady. Nathan Taylor ran a 4.64 at the Quebec combine basically at linebacker weight. He'll be worth a look too. Kris Robertson and Patrick Chenard are other DBs I've really liked as we review them
- A pair of mock drafts to review:
The CFL.ca's Justin Dunk
Calgary Stampeder fan "Goal Digger"
Tyler Honeywood writes one for CISBlog.ca
Got a mock draft? Drop us a line - Kent Ridley - Alberta/Tennessee
- Reviewing the draft status of Lance Karl (QB, Citrus College). The roster sheet from the Edmonton Regional Combine says that he's draft eligible, so we dug into this. According to some reports he was at Utah. However he isn't listed on the spring 2008, 2008 or spring 2009 rosters. First roster I saw him on was Snow College in 2009. He next showed up on the Citrus College roster in 2010. This leads me to believe that rules surrounding the JuCo players have changed but that also leads to other Canadian JuCo players that otherwise wouldn't be draft eligible but now could be
April 21 - Questions today about James Bodanis and which draft year he should be part of. My understanding of the CFL draft rules would place him in the 2015 Draft as a redshirt junior. James played at U of Toronto in 2011, 2012 before transferring to Michigan State where he will have to sit out 2013 before playing 2014, 2015
April 20 - HS Senior Bowl tryouts are underway in Alberta and Saskatchewan which is always a fun study in human relations.
- Reviewing the eligibility of WR Natey Adjei today. Played at City College of San Francisco in 2009, 2010; was supposed to attend UHawaii in 2011 but that fell through and enrolled at UBuffalo in 2012
- Adjei is a receiver with a lot of upside and potential. Runs a very quick 40 (4.37)
April 19 - The Draft Guide is complete. The drama in Boston did delay us last night as we joined so many around North America in following the actions. If you have any loved ones in the Boston area, hopefully they are all safe and sound.
- List of players that have been contacted by NFL team to our knowledge: Ben D'Aguilar (DE/LB, McMaster)
Matt Sewell (OT, McMaster)
Stefan Charles (DE, Regina)
CO Prime (LB, Wagner)
Andy Mulumba (DE, Eastern Michigan)
Linden Gaydosh (DE, Calgary)
Each of these individuals have been contacted to some degree and that information will be taken into account by the CFL teams as they discuss the pros and cons of each individual
- To this point it appears that Stefan Charles is the most likely to actually be drafted in the NFL Draft next week
April 16 - Pre-orders for the Draft Guide are downloading Part 2 today
- Reviewed the receivers and it shuffled the deck a bit. Former OUA MVP Michael DiCroce is our leader but there is a logjam behind him. Laval has a pair of these in the solid Seydou Haidara and speedy Yannick Morin-Plante; the athletic Alex Anthony from Wilfrid Laurier and the Florida phenom Stephen Alli who rarely catches a pass but his 6'6" frame draws attention
April 15 - More and more reports about NFL teams being interested in Stefan Charles. We bumped Stefan down our chart a couple weeks ago expecting this and now it appears that the rest of the country is catching up. His draft spot in the NFL will completely affect his CFL spot.
- More on Charles and D'Aguilar - NFL Canada
- Ryland Smith (DB, Bishop's) had a big JR year including 12 Passes Defended!
- Trace Bozarth (LB, Dordt) had an interesting career worth a look for special teams
- Steven Lumbala averaged 7.5 yards per carry; Rotrand Sene averaged 5.4 yards per carry
April 12 -Let's have some fun today. Here's a quick look at the Draft Class of 2015!
Christian Covington (DL, Rice)
Josiah St. John (OT, Oklahoma)
Tyler Varga (RB, Yale)
Brett Weir (TE, Arkansas)
Anthony Thompson (DB, Southern Illinois)
Jordan Arkko (OL, Saskatchewan)
Jamie Wandell (OG, Saint Mary's)
April 11 - Quick sound byte from Linden Gaydosh on Matt Vonk.
- Check out UDFA from 2012 - Brett Cameron
April 10 - Stefan Charles has met with Seattle and will have a second meeting with Indy this week too.
April 8 - The pre-orders received their Draft Guide Part 1's today. Looking to finish up the player profiles this week to send out the entire Guide. It's 4 weeks to the Draft and we're getting excited!
- Interesting video detailing how Rugby Canada was also at the CFL Combine scouting players. Opens up more doors to these athletes
- The RiderFans board is always an interesting foray into the mindset of a fanbase but here's a Draft related piece from "CC Ryder"
April 5 - Meant to add this yesterday. Interview with Ben D'Aguilar from NFL Draft Zone. Looking forward to next week with more action thanks to the NFL Super Regional that Ben D'Aguilar and Stefan Charles will be at. We'll update the Top 3s on Sunday! Gone off the grid until then. (doesn't mean the work stops just the interaction - leave your questions at StampsFans.com)
April 2 - Added 3 interviews to the Guide today. 2 linebackers and a running back join interviews with Instant Scouting, Rouge Radio and the new GIFL. This is building on the amazing interviews we had in 2012 with Marc Mueller, Austin Anderson and many more.
April 1 - No April fooling here. Back to work. Love that spring camps are open on both sides of the border. Spring game in Memphis this weekend at the former home of the Mad Dogs, the Liberty Bowl. Here's a link to spring practices for Guelph here.
Back to the Top
March 31 - Happy Easter y'all! A computer glitch turned into a late night for us. Always nice when 3 hours of work disappears! 3am isn't a good time to troubleshoot things. We'll see how far behind this puts us but it's back to work today. Loving this DL group and potentially it will lead to a big number of them drafted. More DL than OL? We'll see.
- Interview with Stefan Charles from NFL Draft Zone
March 30 - Early morning update. The Draft Guide has added interviews from InstantScouting and Rouge Radio. Waiting on a few more that are out there and will round out the edition.
- Ben D'Aguilar (LB, McMaster) had a better testing day at the Tampa NFL Regional Combine than at the CFL Combine in everything except the 40 yard dash. He was 16 hundredths faster in Toronto than in Tampa. Looking forward to his numbers from Dallas in 11 days
- Mike Spence (S, Western) had 5 INTs and 10 PBUs in 29 games. Heavy hitter in the Mustang secondary
March 29 - Have a fantastic Good Friday in whichever way you celebrate this holiday weekend.
- Looking at the OL today. Matt Vonk (C, Waterloo) has really stood out on film. Plays with a mean streak, attacks the defenders before they are ready and looks for people to knock over when leading the runner. Also hoping to find some better looks at Matt Albright (OL, Saint Mary's)
- CFL Draft Class of 2016 Tevaun Smith (R, Iowa) has shown a new number at spring camp. Switching things up to #4
- Tonight reviewing the Canadians playing in JuCo's around the USA.
- Justin Dunk and Duane Forde have a pair of articles up reviewing the CFL Combine. Offense and Defense
- The real question isn't whether Kalonji Kashama can play at the next level but "are there any more Kashama's left in Brampton?"
- Kareem Ba (DE, UBC) had 12 tackles at the East West Bowl. He only had 27 hits during the 2012 season. So which is the truth?
March 28 - 2011 Montreal draft pick Vaughn Martin (DT, Western) has signed a FA deal with the Miami Dolphins.
- In the last 5 years players have been picked from 76 different American schools
- In 2003 there were 21 players picked in the draft that played a regular season game
March 27 - A sad day in the CFL as Ron Lancaster Jr. has passed away. Condolences to the Lancaster and Mueller families in a tough time. We are so grateful to that family for the access they have given to us in the past!
March 26 - Mike Edem (LB, Calgary) ran a 4.57 at the Combine which was 2 tenths faster than the next LB (also a Calgary product - Tom Spoletini). The former RB has flown under the radar after transfering from McGill in 2010. In the last 2 years he has 0.5 fewer TFLs than Ben D'Aguilar (DE, McMaster) and more total hits.
- At the Shrine Bowl, Matt Sewell (OT, McMaster) met with Kansas City (2012 Draft Pick and fellow Shrine Bowl participant Kirby Fabien met with Philadelphia)
- 2012 Draft Pick Arnaud Gascon-Nadon has had surgery and doesn't appear likely to be ready for CFL Training Camp
- Future Look: 2015 Draft Class member Christian Covington (DT, Rice) had 43 Hits, 8 TFL, 5 sacks, 1 FF and 1 PBU. We like him as a Top 3 pick in the 2015 Draft.
March 25 - So how would injured Andy Mulumba (DE, Eastern Michigan) have done against the 8 DLs that were at the CFL Combine? Using his pro day numbers from March 13th here we go. Bench - 4th; Vert - tied for 2nd; Long Jump - 3rd; Shuttle - 7th; L-Drill - 3rd; 40 yd dash - 2nd. Oh yeah he also made 11 tackles in one game against Central Michigan this year.
- Toronto has 4 picks in the final 14 spots of the draft. Does Barker go after some PR guys with those picks? (meant trades not stockpiling depth... bad wording on my part ~ KR)
- Cam Thorn (DL, Guelph) was the top long snapper at the Combine according to CFL.ca's Justin Dunk
- Boseko Lokombo (LB, Oregon) couldn't compete at the CFL Combine but in 2011 at Oregon winter conditioning camp he ran a 4.84 electronically timed 40 yard dash
CFL Daily Top 5 (March 25):
1. Bo Lokombo - Oregon
2. Linden Gaydosh - Calgary
3. Stefan Charles - Regina
4. Ben D'Aguilar - McMaster
5. Matt Sewell - McMaster
March 24 - The big day on the field at Varsity Stadium. They made the OLs run the 40 first. Looks like they are speeding through the linemen as both groups have run their tests and are getting suited up for the contact portion.
- Corey Watman (OG, Eastern Mich) had more bench press reps at his Eastern Michigan pro day than at the CFL Combine (33 to 31). But he ran better and jumped better at the CFL Combine than his pro day in every other test except the vertical jump which was 1/2" lower.
- Reports that Stefan Charles (DL, Regina) has talked to 5 NFL teams (Saints, Eagles, Panthers, Falcons and Steelers)
- Nolan MacMillan (OT, Iowa) is listed on the Iowa depth chart 3 times. Starting LG and back up for LT and RT.
March 23 - Big performance from Bishop's DL Elie Ngoyi (DL, Bishop's) with 40 reps on the bench press. Fellow DL Linden Gaydosh (DT, Calgary) put up 36 reps.
- Stu Van Dusen who plays for the semi-pro Austin Vipers down in Texas was at the NIC. Hope he isn't flying back to play in their game today.
- Back to reviewing DBs while waiting on the next testing session. JP Shoiry has good things to say about Sherbrooke prospect Patrick Chenard. Film looks good and played as a defensive halfback (a spot no CFL team started a non-import).
Bench Press Leaders (CFL Combine + Regionals)
Elie Ngoyi 40
Linden Gaydosh 36
Corey Watman 31
Quinn McCaughn 31 (@ Edmonton Regional)
Matt Leung 30 (@ Edmonton Regional)
Adam Hindley 29
Taylor Servais 28
Brett Jones 27
Matthew Albright 26
Michael Klassen 26
Gregory Alexandre 26
Vert Jump Leaders (CFL Combine + Regionals) in progress:
Kristopher Robertson 43.00"
Brendan Gillanders 41.00"
Simon Le Marquand 41.00"
Jermaine Gabriel 40.50"
Ryland Smith 39.00"
Mike Edem 38.50"
Mike Spence 38.50"
Jamir Walker 37.75" (@ Edmonton Regional)
Jamahl Knowles 37.50"
Michael DiCorce 37.50"
- Michael Klassen improved his Regional Combine bench press number by 5 at the CFL Combine (21 to 26)
- Kris Robertson improved his Regional Combine vert jump number by 4" (39" to 43")
March 22 - CFL Draft Prospect CO Prime (LB, Wagner) faced fellow CFL Draft Prospect Eddie Houghton (RB, Holy Cross) last year with CO Prime making 4 tackles on Eddie. Track the CFL Combine events on TSN here.
- Duane Forde's annual NIC is also underway today. Morning session should be complete by now and they should be headed over for the afternoon session.
- Two free pages of the 2013 Canadian College Draft Guide (Check your download folder after clicking)
- CFL Free Agent Ismael Bamba ran a 4.37 40 at the NFL Regional Combine in North Carolina. Bamba was a 6th round draft pick (39th overall) in the 2012 CFL Draft.
- Stephen Adekolu (WR, Bishop's) has been added to the CFL Combine thanks to a strong performance at the NIC
Unofficial NIC Results:
- Shane Herbert: 4.64 laser 40, 3.99 Shuttle, 7 reps on the bench, 40" vert at NIC
- Montreal Carabins on the bench: Martel 28 reps, Legare 23 reps, Garlins 34 reps
March 21 - Reviewed defensive players and have a logjam for the top DBs. Neil King (Saint Mary's) bumped up the list and will be a player we'll review again this weekend. 5 DBs will be in tough for their spots, good in different ways. Jesse Joseph (DE, UConn) is an interesting prospect and it will depend on his health status and likelihood of re-injury as to where he ultimately sits.
March 20 - Looking at the Regional Combines:
Kristopher Robertson 4.48
Damone Blackman 4.50
Steven Adu 4.51
Ronlee King-Fileen 4.52
O'Shane Daley 4.61
Nathan Taylor 4.64
Andrew Healy 4.69
Billy Theagene-Jean 4.71
Dave Clarke 4.72
Jermaine Gabriel 4.75
Xavier Johnson 4.75
We are going interactive at StampsFans.com where you can leave your Draft Questions
and we'll answer as many as we can!
- Finally back online with the CFL Draft Coverage, here's the latest:
- The 2014 Canadian College Draft Guide will be available on Lulu.com, we have tested it with our 2013 edition and like the easy of use as well as the ease for those seeking to purchase it. Get the 2013 edition here
- Shrine Bowl NFL interviews with Canadians include - Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff met with Arizona; John Urschel met with New Orleans and San Diego
- January 14th the Winter Edition of the CFL Scouting Bureau Top 15 will be released. Looking forward to seeing the next installment
- 2013 CFL Draft Pick Jesse Joseph (Montreal, 3rd Round) is playing in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl as a linebacker
- Story on Hamilton Draft Picks Lyndon Gaydosh (1st Round) and Brent Urban (2nd Round) from Drew Edwards
- Brent Urban on NFLDraftScout Projected as a 7th Round Pick + rated as the #15 DE. He is playing in the Senior Bowl this year